[Tagging] Landuse for vacant lots

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Mon Mar 13 17:53:50 UTC 2017

On 13.03.2017 16:57, Andy Townsend wrote:
> I'm a native English British English speaker, and to me brownfield does
> not mean just "scheduled for development".  It just means "was used for
> some development but is no longer".  It _may_ then be used for something
> else in the future (you often hear "redevelopment of brownfield sites),
> but that's not a requirement.
>
> It'd be perfectly meaningful to say "in XYZ place there are lots of
> brownfield sites not scheduled for any development".

Fine, so maybe we losen the Wiki definition a bit, saying that the land
_might_ be scheduled for future development. That leaves the focus on
the fact that the land had been used before.

On 13.03.2017 15:55, Nelson A. de Oliveira wrote:
 > "landuse" says that a specific piece of land is being used for something.
 > Then "disused" says that it's being used for nothing.

Yes that is a form of troll tagging, negating the key. Thus I'd prefer
brownfield as above.

I agree that landcover=* can describe what has grown there.

tom