[Tagging] water=pool

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 12:29:42 UTC 2017

On 11 March 2017 at 23:54, Thilo Haug <thaug at gmx.de> wrote:
> in my opinion, this combination is describing it best :
> natural=water
> water=pond

I don't like this, as I feel pond is "more commonly used for places in
a park where you find ducks, often with lots of vegetation", and the
water would cover a larger area, and not be flowing as much as a pool.

On 12 March 2017 at 01:21, ael <law_ence.dev at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> in my opinion, this combination is describing it best :
>> natural=water
>> water=pond
>
> As a native English speaker, these are not ponds. Pools are the natural
> description, as already suggested. So just add natural=water, water=pool
> to http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:water, and tag accordingly.
> The existing tags do not cover these pools.

That was the plan, but I wanted to see what others thought and see if
there was a consensus first.

On 13 March 2017 at 19:14, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 12 Mar 2017, at 16:35, althio <althio.forum at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If you don't need a new tag, I would go for
>> natural=water
>> water=lake
>> (and let the size and position of the feature show that it is a small
>> body of water on a river)
>> After all, it is a kind of lake, only much smaller ;)
> no, it's not a kind of lake similar like 3 trees can never be a kind of forest. Both a lake and a forest require a certain size in order to develop the ecosystem that characterizes them.

I agree, a lake and this kind of stream pool are fundamentally
different. natural=water is the common element already.

On 13 March 2017 at 19:22, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd rather use water=stream_pool without the lake deviation, but then it still is in conflict with water=river. Are these actual features anyway, or are they simply the wider parts of the river?

My view is that a river has enough flow and is wide enough tag as an
area with waterway=riverbank or water=river. So you wouldn't really
get these pools on a river.

A stream on the otherhand might only be able to be tagged as a linear
way in most sections as the water doesn't collect, except for a pool
along the lake. (ie. a pool / stream pool). Further the pool usually
isn't flowing in the same way as the creek, so I don't think it makes
sense to tag as a stream area (a stream area, would be mostly rock,
not water).

I'm not fussed with water=stream_pool or water=pool. I agree with
althio that water=stream_pool is more explicit, and water=pool could
be confused with a reflecting pool, swimming pool,