[Tagging] Tagging town/village/hamlet - am I misunderstanding something?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 16:54:57 UTC 2017

> Local convention in New York is to follow the legal definitions. Fort
> Montgomery is legally a hamlet.  New York has a few 'hamlets' that are
> actually small cities. (Levittown, population about 52,000, is the largest
> of these.)

I understand that legal definitions are important, but IMHO the OSM tag
place=hamlet is not about this property that NY law is about. My suggestion
would be to use a distinct tag like (just an example) incorporated=yes/no.
>From what I read in wikipedia, the term "hamlet" is not defined in NY law:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Administrative_divisions_of_New_York#Hamlet
(note that this is still about administrative divisions, something we
should cover in boundary=administrative and admin_level tags).

If some place you call "actually a small city" (52000 population) is tagged
as hamlet it creates problems for all data users (e.g. the label is too
small and showns too late compared to similar places with different
administrative organisation).

Cheers,
Martin