[Tagging] Variable Message Signs on Highways

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Tue Nov 7 20:12:57 UTC 2017

You might think about whether they are intended for per-lane/lanegroup
or whole-road info.

These things have already been modelled to death in DATEX II. There is
some possible inspiration here:
http://www.datex2.eu/sites/www.datex2.eu/files/sites/test.datex2.eu/files/DX_VMS_2009-06.pdf

//colin

On 2017-11-07 17:20, Brian Prangle wrote:

> Hi I'm new here so forgive me if this has been discussed before.
>
> I have access to a suitably licensed dataset from Birmingham City Council showing details of Variable Message Signs [1] (overhead or roadside electronic displays of matrix text or pictograms for motorists), but I cannot find anywhere on the wiki a comprehensive tagging schema for them
>
> (Unfortunately the location data is way out when examined with satellite imagery so it  looks like a manual job rather than an import. There are about 1200 items in the dataset)
>
> My initial ideas are along the following lines:
>
> traffic_sign=variable_message
>
> traffic_sign:forward =variable_message where way is not oneway
>
> traffic_sign:backward =variable_message where way is not oneway
>
> variable_message_model =  operator's description from the dataset e.g 4x13 VMS MS5
>
> variable_message_type = matrix
>
> variable_message_type = graphic
>
> variable_message_type  = graphic;matrix
>
> variable_message_information = parking
>
> variable_message_information = traffic
>
> traffic_sign:location = overhead   (where the sign is mounted on agntry spanning the highway)
>
> traffic_sign:location= roadside     ( where the sign is mounted on a pole)
>
> Should the node be on the way?
>
> Has anyone mapped these consistently anywhere else? Do I have to create a proposal page on the wiki and go through a formal vote?
>
> Regards
>
> Brian

Links:
------