[Tagging] Devices key

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 09:26:22 UTC 2017

>> from the wiki page I get the impression that the ":devices" is the same
>> thing as the "_count", just less meaningful on a semantic level and only
>> usable for "devices" (e.g. "steps" hardly can't be considered devices). The
>> intended meaning of "transformer:devices" is the same as
>> "transformer_count", no?
>>

> The page example section is far from complete.
>
> The issue with the only example provided is we can't know if devices=*
> applies to pole or to transformer or to any other devices supported by the
> pole (a bin for instance).
> That's why I put transformer:devices=*
> The issue occurs on any supported device vs supporting one.
>
> But in general, when there are only features without any
> pole/wall/whatever support, devices=* is better than any xxxxx_count=*

ok, so another advantage of X_count is that it works always and with the
exact same syntax, regardless of different features present or not,
regardless of them being devices or other things, and also in combination:
X_count and Y_count.

It all depends how much detail you would want to map. There will hardly be
any identical things if you are after the details (e.g. unique reference
number, serial number, etc. which will be needed for control and management
of these things, but on the other hand will likely not be inserted into
OSM, while other properties like orientation might be interesting, e.g. for
antennas (--> node relation)).

Ciao,
Martin