[Tagging] Bannered/Special routes (Business, Alternate, etc.) in ref tags

Albert Pundt roadsguy99 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 03:48:29 UTC 2018

Sometimes bannered routes like business and alternate routes are tagged
with, for example, ref=US 1 Business, spelling it out fully, and other
times they abbreviate it, e.g. ref=US 1 Alt. Which is considered the best
practice? We already abbreviate the US, I, etc., so it's not a stretch to
abbreviate the banner word as well. And while we shouldn't tag only for the
renderer, it also has the advantage of not being too long for the current
Carto style.

—Albert