[Tagging] Bannered/Special routes (Business, Alternate, etc.) in ref tags

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Fri Apr 13 04:18:56 UTC 2018

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 10:48 PM, Albert Pundt <roadsguy99 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sometimes bannered routes like business and alternate routes are tagged
> with, for example, ref=US 1 Business, spelling it out fully, and other
> times they abbreviate it, e.g. ref=US 1 Alt. Which is considered the best
> practice? We already abbreviate the US, I, etc., so it's not a stretch to
> abbreviate the banner word as well. And while we shouldn't tag only for the
> renderer, it also has the advantage of not being too long for the current
> Carto style.

I would generally go without abbreviation, eg, ref=US 1 Alternate, though
in the long term, I really think it's long overdue to kill the dinosaur of
tagging refs for routes on ways and just describe routes via relations, in
which case, the relation would be...

relation=route
route=road
network=US:US:Alternate