[Tagging] Slash, space, or spaced hyphen in multi-lingual names

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 23:24:29 UTC 2018

On 11 August 2018 at 09:14, Jo <winfixit at gmail.com> wrote:

> What if the street sign said:
>
> St Francis St.
>
> would you be putting that exactly as is in the name tag?
>
> I would put
>
> Saint Francis Street
>
> in it.
>
> What if there are 3 signs, one with
> St Francis St.
> Saintt Francis St.
> St Francis Street
>
> It may be a longer street, it may be that time passed by between when
> those signs were placed. But this does happen.
>
> Are you reatlly going to put
> name=St Francis St./Saintt Francis St./St Francis Street
>
> to cover all your bases?

There was discussion recently (may have only been on the Australian list?)
about St / Saint & the protocol (at least in English) is that Saint is
spelled St when it is part of a street / place name.

OSM rules are that street is always to be spelt in full, not as St.

So even if the street showed those 3 signs, I would leave the whole thing
as St Francis Street.

Thanks

Graeme