[Tagging] Slash, space, or spaced hyphen in multi-lingual names

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 06:43:42 UTC 2018

If I knew about usual abbrevs I would probably expand those. If I was not sure, I would not. Usually, looking at existing names in the area tells me what to do. If there are variants on different signs in an area/language I don’t know, I tend to do nothing at all, but if I had to I would either give them all with slashes, or just pick one which makes the most sense to me, both cases assuming I can tell if the same name is meant.

Spelling errors, if I can see that it’s an error, of course I will correct, but if I can’t be sure and still want to map, giving both is not so bad. Some local mapper will eventually correct it, probably.

In any case, if there is an authoratative source and the local usance is to use that, fine with me, then I would of course not “correct” that to any other scheme.

Apart from naming considerations, a line break indicator in long text fields is not a bad idea, I think.

Mvg Peter Elderson