[Tagging] Slash, space, or spaced hyphen in multi-lingual names

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 07:08:14 UTC 2018

sent from a phone

> On 11. Aug 2018, at 06:13, Marc Gemis <marc.gemis at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I find it hard to understand why non-Belgians try to change a rule
> that is accepted by the Belgian community. The name field contains the
> name of the object as known by the local people. Not what an
> Englishmen or anyone else knows the place as. There is no 1 name,
> there are multiple names that have to be placed in 1 field. We could
> have chosen a semi-colon, as dash, or a any other separator. We chose
> " - ".

nobody questions the local names, the discussion is about the separator, which has nothing to do with the on the ground situation AFAIK, because there this is solved typographically (different line or different font(size)).

Using the same separator for the same thing (several names in different languages) is a general thing that could be done the same on a global level, it’s not something each local community must decide on their own (if they did, how it is now, there’s not much harm)

cheers,
Martin