[Tagging] areas of risk

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Thu Aug 16 20:52:30 UTC 2018

On the other hand, an overlay with data about various risk factors --
crime, weather, accidents, air quality, cancer clusters, whatever --
would be a fine feature for a 3rd party map app to offer. But these
things don't belong in the OSM database.

As far as "bad areas" and "class and racial bias" go, I'll admit that I
contemplated the idea of tagging the walking paths within some city
public housing projects as access=destination, because it reflects the
reality on the ground -- generally, people don't walk *through* the
projects to get to a destination on the other side. But it's immediately
obvious that this is bias-based interpretation: when I say "people" I
mean people I know, and OSM is for everybody, not just people I know. So
unless the paths are physically impeded, unmaintained to the point of
decay, or signed "residents only" they need to be equal to any other
walking path.