[Tagging] consensus needed: officially a town but visibly distinct settlements?

Yves yvecai at mailbox.org
Sat Aug 18 18:59:01 UTC 2018

What is perceived locally as a hamlet or a suburb or a village can be organized at the local level.
Who cares if the presence of a post office is the criterum to be a 'village' for a 200 people place if it's the only inhabited place 100km around? Who understand administrative levels in another country?
The place key allow a hierarchy of values with words from British English. I don't think those values covers accurately perception everywhere on the globe, that's why I think the local community can have a documented opinion on how to tag.
Yves