[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - (office=diplomatic)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 10:24:23 UTC 2018

Am Mo., 3. Dez. 2018 um 02:22 Uhr schrieb Allan Mustard <allan at mustard.net>:

> Yeah, I saw that, Sergio.  One more puzzle to puzzle over!  If anybody has
> any wisdom on this...

I'd like to quote from here
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposal_process in this context:
________

*Please note:* The outcome of a proposal voting (including Approval or
> deprecation of tags) does not have any implications for those tools which
> use and generate OSM data, such as the standard tile layer
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Standard_tile_layer> renderings or
> editor <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Editor> presets. Do not
> expect an approved proposal to be automatically rendered or added to
> presets; this is at the discretion of the stylesheet maintainers and code
> authors. Also, *never* use a vote result as a justification for
> large-scale re-tagging of existing objects.

________

a little further on the same page:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposal_process#Approved
____

Do *not* remove entries from Map Features
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features> even if your new
> feature that has been voted on is intended to replace them. It is not
> considered good style to remove things from Map Features while they are
> still in use. You can remove things from Map Features if they are not in
> use. See also Deprecated_features
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Deprecated_features>.

____

On the Deprecated_features
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Deprecated_features>.page it says:
_________

> *OpenStreetMap does not have "banned features", as anybody is allowed and
> encouraged to use any tag they think is useful.*
>
> However, from time to time the wiki community suggests a new feature
> instead of an older one, to improve tagging clarity or structure. If there
> is no strong reason to stick to the old tags in these cases, you might want
> to go along with the recommendation and use the new tags suggested here.

_________

The idea that a tag can be deprecated through a wiki vote is often disputed
in general. Typically, in cases like here, where different keys are used,
the old tags remain in existence (although some are removed) and the new
tags get added ;-)

Cheers,
Martin