[Tagging] Can OSM become a geospacial database?

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 00:14:06 UTC 2018

Re: “once someone told me that Eskimo people have dozens of different names
for "snow"”

It’s a bit complex, starting with defining “Eskimo”:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskimo_words_for_snow

Many Trans-New-Guinean languages here will use only one word for all water
features, eg river, lake, spring, swamp are all “ok” meaning “water”. But
of course they all understand that there is a difference between a flowing
river and standing water in a lake.

Fortunately English has an an unusually large vocabulary and is amenable to
borrowing words, so it’s usually possible to invent a good tag for OSM
purposes, based on English.