[Tagging] Salumeria(it) / charcuterie(fr) / Wurstwaren (de) WAS Re: Can OSM become a geospacial database?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 10:57:43 UTC 2018

Am Do., 6. Dez. 2018 um 11:30 Uhr schrieb Johnparis <okosm at johnfreed.com>:

> In hindsight, it might have been better to use shop=meat instead of
> shop=butcher for a store that sells meat. But that was decided long ago.

I am not sure about the British situation, but a German butcher is
typically a place that sells not just raw meat, but also cold cuts,
sausages, all kind of "Wurst", salads (the ones with mayonaise), often also
cooked meat e.g. at lunch time (usually take away or to eat standing), and
maybe will prepare sandwiches. In Italy a butcher only sells meat and raw
sausages for roasting (not the kind of already cooked stuff, like "Wiener
Würstel"). Generally you will not get something to directly eat at an
Italian butcher, you'll have to cook it first. A German butcher is quite
like an Italian salumeria and butcher in one shop.

Cheers,
Martin