[Tagging] Salumeria(it) / charcuterie(fr) / Wurstwaren (de) WAS Re: Can OSM become a geospacial database?

Sergio Manzi smz at smz.it
Thu Dec 6 12:39:08 UTC 2018

Martin,

I see you have "/spawned/" my comment from another thread into this thread.

I take for granted your good willingness in doing that, but you'll forgive me if I will not partecipate to this specific discussion.

My original intention was not to find an acceptable English name for a salumeria, but to underline how the details of the world diversity and the sensibilities, traditions and cultures of different peoples can hardly be constrained within terms taken from a single language (/independently on how "flexible" one can percieve it/).

Cheers,

Sergio

P.S.: I'm quite sure a salmeria, a charcuterie and a wurstwaren are different "things" although responding to the same basic need (/to have a place where to buy something good to eat!/): /salamerie /have centuries of history in Italy (/probably a millennium or more/) and I'm not willng to dilute their history with the history of different similar places.