[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Top up

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 20:16:46 UTC 2018

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 at 18:07, bkil <bkil.hu+Aq at gmail.com> wrote:

> Please don't confuse top ups with refilling:
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Refilling_a_purchased_drink
>
> I think "top up" is standard terminology in the UK for increasing the
> balance of prepaid mobile phone accounts.

That, amongst other things.  Even when, strictly speaking, they're payments
rather than top-ups.
Because language mutates that way, and what started out as being purely for
topping things up
ended up also handling bill payments.

Since you mentioned the UK, then just to complicate matters...

A large number of outlets offer the services of PayPoint.  With this system
I can top up my phone
account with the UK's four main mobile network operators (and possibly some
of the virtual operators),
pay some or part of my gas bill, top up my electricity meter key, pay some
or part of my water bill, pay
some or part of my TV licence (those outside the UK may have no idea what
that is or why we have one)
and pay many other different things.

I'd like to be able to point you at a list of everything that can be
paid/topped up using PayPoint.  I really
would.  Because, if I saw the list I might spot some other thing it would
be preferable[1] for me to pay
that way.  But PayPoint's website appears not to have such a list.  I might
be able to find such a list
from the sitemap, but that is broken.  So all I can do is give you this
link and you can play
"guess the logo" for the 30+ logos of the claimed 300+ companies that can
be paid this way:
https://corporate.paypoint.com/our-proposition/whatwedo

There's a hell of a lot of things that can be paid/topped up that way.  I
suspect it might be better (at least
in the UK) to tag it topup:payment_network=paypoint or some such rather
than have 300+
topup:phone:ee=yes + topup:electricy:sse=yes + topup:water:dwr_cymru=yes +
topup:gas:eon=yes + topup:tv_licence=yes +...

[1]Why would I ever find it preferable to pay anything (other than top up
my electricity meter key) this
way?  My bank has a scheme to encourage people to use online banking,
whereby certain businesses
offer discounts (if you use online banking to select a particular discount
currently on offer).  One of the
shops near me with a PayPoint terminal is part of a franchise that offers
me a 5% discount every 3 or
4 months.  It's supposed to entice me to buy their big-brand-only, sold-at
higher-than-anybody-else's
prices merchandise.  I use it purely for PayPoint purchases where the price
is exactly the same as I'd
pay anywhere else.  I even get 5% off cashback under that discount scheme!

--
Paul