[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Top up

Daniele Santini danysan95 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 18:39:09 UTC 2018

Summarizing the problems of the top_up:<type>[:<brand>]=yes/no approach:
- Some networks (like PayPoint) allow top-up more than one service (mobile
phone, public transport, ...)
- The scheme has a over-namespacing problem because both the second and the
third subkeys could be values
- The name "top_up" can be confused with drink refill and is unclear for
people of countries where prepaid services are not widespread
- Brand names are likely to use characters such as upper-case letters or
non-ASCII characters that should be avoided in keys where possible

So, basing on these problems, we could change the proposal to:
- prepaid_top_up=<type> -> to specify the type of services whose top-ups
are sold (like mobile_phone, public_transport, energy, credit_card, ...)
- prepaid_top_up:brand=<brand> -> for brand whose top-ups are sold (like
Vodafone); this would follow the same rules of brand=*
- prepaid_top_up:network=<network> -> for payment networks that allow to
top up other services (like PayPoint); this would follow the rules of
network=*

Some usage examples would be:
- "prepaid_top_up"="transport"+"prepaid_top_up:network"="Opal" ->
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Opal_Card_Top_up_point.jpg
- "prepaid_top_up"="mobile_phone"+"prepaid_top_up:brand"="Digicel;LIME" ->
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Bridgetown_top-up.jpg

This would address all the problems:
- networks with multiple services can be tagged with
"prepaid_top_up"="mobile_phone;public_transport"+"prepaid_top_up:network"="PayPoint"
- the over-namespacing problem is gone
- "prepaid_top_up" can't be misunderstood
- brand names are now in the value field

If there are no objections I will update the proposal page with these tags.

PS: someone wrote that "if the amount is pre-paid, it is not a credit
card". When talking of credit card I refer to prepaid (or "preloaded")
credit cards (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_card#Prepaid_cards
and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prepayment_for_service ).

Kind regards
--