[Tagging] 'Unknown' value.

Fernando Trebien fernando.trebien at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 21:25:31 UTC 2018

Maybe they should be converted into a fixme=* value then, such as
fixme="unknown maxspeed;unknown foot access;unknown wheelchair
accessibility".

Though I've always assumed that an absent tag means its value is
unknown, so foot=unknown and no foot=* whatsoever would mean the exact
same thing. Some would disagree though. [1]

[1] https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2018-January/034546.html

On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 2:30 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

> sent from a phone
>
>> On 4. Feb 2018, at 12:44, OSMDoudou <19b350d2-b1b3-4edb-ad96-288ea1238eee at gmx.com> wrote:
>>
>> If your analysis shows these tags don't add value (this is to say: don't make a gigantic update on places you haven't reviewed), you better remove them (possibly with a comment on the changeset explaining you're removing tags which don't make sense).
>

> I don’t think they should be batch removed, I see them as a kind of fixme tag, which might have been applied because the mapper thought an important property needs resurvey, especially barrier=unknown or access=unknown on barriers may indicate a high probability for access restrictions (e.g. you can see in the aerial imagery the shadow of some kind of barrier but don’t know more). I would be in favor of batch removing those unknown that have been batch introduced but not those inserted individually
>

> cheers,
> Martin

Fernando Trebien
+55 (51) 9962-5409