[Tagging] How to tag sports halls?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 23:15:24 UTC 2018

> Neither do I understand why building=yes is suggested in the wiki instead
> of building=*, allowing more specifix building types. But I think this is a
> minor problem
>
> More complicated / important to me seem the other questions about (1.) the
> mapping of indoor pitches and (2.) about the recent changes that recommend
> leisure=sports_centre for normal sports halls and also for other buildings
> (e.g. riding halls) that no one would call sports centres.
> leisure=sports_hall is only used 22 times so far, therefore I don't think
> we can recommend to use that instead of leisure=sports_centre. But can'r we
> just leave away leisure=* where it does not fit and just use building=* +
> sport=* ?

IMHO we should suggest both, building=sports_hall for any sports hall
building and leisure=sports_hall if it is also used as a sports hall.
I'm unsure about indoor pitches, but would tend to require an indoor
specific key.

> Can we write in the wiki that building=* is sufficient as a physical tag
> for sport=* and that leisure=sports_centre should only be used if the
> building is really a sports centre in the real world? More or less like
> that. This would make more sense to me than the current examples which will
> lead people to tag buildings as sports centres even if they are just normal
> sports halls, riding halls, etc. What for? Why should we recommend that?

I agree with restricting the usage of leisure=sports_centre to sports
centres. I would also acclaim a restriction of leisure=pitch to pitches.
There seem to be recommendations to tag table tennis tables as pitches, and
someone proposed this even for tables where you can play chess. IMHO it
would be clearer to write explicitly in the wiki: "use leisure=pitch for
sports fields" or something along these lines.

Cheers,
Martin