[Tagging] How to tag sports halls?

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Wed Feb 7 14:45:24 UTC 2018

> I'm unsure about indoor pitches, but would tend to require an indoor specific key.

Pitch remains pitch, the specific key is indoor=yes.

 > There seem to be recommendations to tag table tennis tables as pitches, and someone proposed this
 > even for tables where you can play chess.

You seem to refer to discussion #3039 in carto. The argument there was meant, if leisure=pitch is
used for table_tennis, it could as well be used for chess tables. If we find a better tag for
table-oriented sports, it should apply to both.

On 07.02.2018 01:33, Warin wrote:
 > Chess? Not certain if that can be classified as a 'sport' ... certainly a game of skill.

wikipedia: "FIDE is a member of the International Olympic Committee, which can be considered as a
recognition of chess as a sport". You should also be careful in arguing with a chess player about
that, some are also trained in Sudoku!

On 07.02.2018 01:51, Paul Allen wrote:
 > Whatever you classify chess as, it's played on a board, not a pitch or a field.  Maybe if you
play with human pieces (a
 > novelty game) you might play it on marked grass but it would still be referred to as a board, not
a pitch.

Sometimes with human pieces as a show, but chess is regularly played in parks all over the world on
ground pitches:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Innsbruck_17.jpg

On 07.02.2018 02:33, Warin wrote:
 > Dictionary time - pitch...
 > Oxford - An area of ground marked out or used for play in an outdoor team game.

OSM usually starts on a dictionary definition, but has the habit to grow larger than this. What we
need in the end is an agreed denominator for a class of objects, even if that deviates a bit from
colloquial English.

tom