[Tagging] How to tag sports halls?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 16:27:14 UTC 2018

On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 2:45 PM, Tom Pfeifer <t.pfeifer at computer.org> wrote:

> OSM usually starts on a dictionary definition, but has the habit to grow
> larger than this. What we need in the end is an agreed denominator for a
> class of objects, even if that deviates a bit from colloquial English.

Absolutely.  But the idea of a table-tennis pitch, chess pitch, ice-skating
pitch and swimming pitch makes me
cringe.  That's not bashing a square peg into a round hole, that's shoving
a camel through the eye of a
needle.  It can be done, with a hydraulic press, but the camel isn't much
use afterwards (unless you like
camel soup).

"Field of play" might encompass football, rugby, soccer, baseball, and even
tennis.  Misleading, but good
enough, for cricket (nobody understands the rules anyway, so a
terminological error is OK).  Still wrong
for ice-skating and swimming.

--
Paul