[Tagging] How to tag sports halls?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 12:09:20 UTC 2018

On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 1:33 AM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 07-Feb-18 11:51 AM, Paul Allen wrote:
>
> On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 12:33 AM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I think of table tennis as a sport, so see no reason why the playing area
>> for table tennis should not be tagged as a pitch in OSM.
>>

> In British English, "pitch" has a specific meaning with respect to sport.
> The equivalent in US and Canadian English
> is "playing field" or "sports field."  It is grass or artificial grass for
> running around, and being tackled to the ground.
> Grass or artificial grass to prevent injuries when being tackled to the
> ground.  Grass or artificial grass to prevent the
> surface being churned to mud on rainy days.
>
> It makes no sense whatsoever, in British English, to talk of a table
> tennis pitch any more than it would be to talk of a
> table-tennis field.  There's a reason it's called "table tennis" not
> "pitch tennis" or "field tennis."  Pitches are large
> enough for 22 men to run around on (smaller versions for kiddies) kicking
> or throwing or hitting a ball.
>

> Dictionary time - pitch...
> Oxford - An area of ground marked out or used for play in an outdoor team
> game.

Sounds about right to me.

> No mention of surface or size. As there is 5 a side soccer ..

Which is why I mentioned smaller versions for kiddies.  And 5-a-side is
often on indoor pitches and often played
by kiddies.

> The present game of tennis is played on a much smaller are then
> traditional 11 a side soccer.
> And it can be played on clay.

Tennis is played on a court with a hard surface, not a pitch.  Except for
lawn tennis, which is played on grass, but
is still a court.

> Shuttle cock?
> Volley ball?

Offhand, I don't know.  And don't care.  I assiduously avoid sport of all
kinds. :)  I vaguely remember volley ball being
associated with a court.

Archery ... according to the wiki uses pitch ... as does shooting ...

I'll take your word for it.

> If table tennis is excluded then so should these. And possibly more. How
> pedantic should OSM be?
> Just pointing out the inconsistencies.

These are inconsistencies in the English language, and OSM uses British
English.  Having a table-tennis pitch
is as bizarre as having a rugby table or a cricket court.

"Pitch" isn't a good generic term for "playing area."  Nor is "table" or
"court."  If you want a one-size-fits-all
term, "pitch" isn't it.

sport

  Once synchronized swimming became a "sport" the word lost all meaning.

Chess has little physical exertion. So would not meet the strict definition
> of a 'sport'.

I would say chess is not a sport.  But the term "sport" has been greatly
degraded by people who pursue various
activities wanting to be able to compete in the Olympics.  But I hate all
sport and don't really care because a pitch
or court or rink (mustn't forget ice skaters) is a semi-permanent physical
feature whereas the "sport" played on it
is ephemeral.

I tried yoga once.  It tasted like sour milk to me.

> More Dictionary time - yoga ..

While you have the dictionary open, look up the term "humour."

--
Paul