[Tagging] How to tag sports halls?

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Wed Feb 7 18:04:20 UTC 2018

On 07.02.2018 17:27, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 2:45 PM, Tom Pfeifer <t.pfeifer at computer.org <mailto:t.pfeifer at computer.org>> wrote:
>     OSM usually starts on a dictionary definition, but has the habit to grow larger than this. What
>     we need in the end is an agreed denominator for a class of objects, even if that deviates a bit
>     from colloquial English.
>
> Absolutely.  But the idea of a table-tennis pitch, chess pitch, ice-skating pitch and swimming pitch
> makes me
> cringe.  That's not bashing a square peg into a round hole, that's shoving a camel through the eye of a
> needle.  It can be done, with a hydraulic press, but the camel isn't much use afterwards (unless you
> like
> camel soup).

I understand you, but some of the cringing comes from language-based bias. Where you have two words
for pitch and court, I might have -platz (de) for both in my language and be more inclined to throw
them into the same pot.

> "Field of play" might encompass football, rugby, soccer, baseball, and even tennis.  Misleading, but
> good
> enough, for cricket (nobody understands the rules anyway, so a terminological error is OK).  Still wrong
> for ice-skating and swimming.

Yeah, we have leisure=ice_rink and =swimming_pool and don't want to change them.

We might need a new tag for the table-oriented sports (are the more than table_tennis and chess?).

We are struggling with sport that has a diffuse location, without fixed boundaries, often using a
natural feature, such as swimming in a lake or climbing a rockface, or kite surfing.

Back to the original questions, I have a severe problem with leisure=pitch for the sports hall, it
might also have pitches inside, indoor=yes. For that, leisure=sports_centre is only slightly better,
in particular if the hall is part of a campus that is the real sports centre.

Thus I am inclined to follow Martin's proposal of leisure=sports_hall.

tom