[Tagging] How to tag sports halls?

Hufkratzer hufkratzer at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 22:20:45 UTC 2018

7.2.2018 19:04,  Tom Pfeifer wrote:
> Back to the original questions, I have a severe problem with
> leisure=pitch for the sports hall, it might also have pitches inside,
> indoor=yes. For that, leisure=sports_centre is only slightly better,
> in particular if the hall is part of a campus that is the real sports
> centre.
>
> Thus I am inclined to follow Martin's proposal of leisure=sports_hall.
>
> tom
The German wiki page for amenity=school explains (different from the
English page), that sports halls with only one pitch shall be tagged
with leisure=pitch and sports halls with more than one pitch with
leisure=sports_centre. Before Oct. 2017 it was also described like that
on the wiki page for pitch. But probably leisure=sports_hall is better.
Here are some of the current database entries with leisure=sports_hall:

SPORTS HALLS OF SCHOOLS

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/108695728
leisure=sports_hall
sport=multi
building=school

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/135095537
leisure=sports_hall
sport=multi
(without building=* tag)

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/194416113
leisure=sports_hall
building=school

SPORTS HALLS OF SPORTS CENTRES

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/83253276
leisure=sports_hall
building=sports_hall

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/55828457 (hall #1)
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/131426499 (hall #2)
leisure=sports_hall
building=sports_hall

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/392806171
leisure=sports_hall
building=yes

TENNIS hall of TENNIS centre:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/86040709
leisure=sports_hall
sport=tennis
building=yes
surface=carpet

Is the building=* tag optional if leisure=sports_hall is present? It
looks like that.

---