[Tagging] Proposed features - RFC 2 - Pressurized waterways

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 16:12:44 UTC 2018

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 3:44 PM, Fran├žois Lacombe <fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> The hydro power waterway proposal has been updated to take care of several
> useful comments made during the last vote.
>
> Here is a changelog :
> - Moving from waterway=drain to waterway=canal since a drain is mainly
> intended to remove superfluous water. A canal carries water from A to B for
> a particular usage. It can be overground and underground with tunnel=*, as
> not to break existing underground ways with waterway=canal on them

I'm coming late to this discussion, so this has probably already been
discussed to death, but...

A canal is an artificial waterway which may be used for water conveyance of
for transportation.  In my part of
the world "canal" almost always means a navigable channel (strictly called
a navigation canal or just a
navigation) and doesn't convey water in meaningful amounts.  In my part of
the world, an artificial waterway used
for conveying water is almost always referred to as an aqueduct.  And yes,
occasionally an artificial waterway may
be constructed for both purposes, but it's not common.

Does that help or make matters worse?

--
Paul