[Tagging] Proposed features - RFC 2 - Pressurized waterways

François Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 14:26:07 UTC 2018

Hi Paul,

> Does that help or make matters worse?

Thank you for your contribution.

Given problem is cluttering waterway=* key a bit more with additional
values may not be accepted.
According to comments, I should use established values and the only one
added is waterway=pressurised.

waterway=canal is currently used to map non navigable waterways and it's
the closest thing corresponding to carry useful water.
canal=* or tunnel=* are intended to give canal usage

I agree there are aqueducts, but it's a concept composed of canals, pipes,
tunnels depending of environment don't you ?

>There is another type of a combination of open waterway, underground
waterway, and pressurised waterway/pipeline:
>a siphon (see [1]). This is a frequent situation here in northern Italy.
They came in all sizes, and there are hundreds of them around here.

This is a great add, thank you :)

I would map this as waterway=pressurised + tunnel=transmission, if and ONLY
if intakes are always below the water level.
On your picture (http://www.acquerisorgive.it/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/
IMG_0121.jpg), I can barely see the top of the tunnel and air could get
inside, couldn't you ?
Then, waterway=canal + tunnel=transmission + location=underground would be
enough if intakes are above water level.

Do you have more precise pictures that would be added to examples sections ?

All the best

François