[Tagging] route role on cycle routes

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Tue Jan 16 04:12:42 UTC 2018

On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 6:51 AM, Fernando Trebien <
fernando.trebien at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 9:57 PM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 1:30 PM, Jo <winfixit at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I fail to understand what information the route role is supposed to add.
> >
> > Identify "on/off ramp" connections on cycleways and multi-use paths that
> > have a "bicycle superhighway" configuration.
>
> I think you're much more ahead than me on this. Could you provide an
> example where the route role would be used for a multi-use path?
>
> At first glance it seems to make sense to me that ramps would have a
> link role (as in road routes), not a route role.

I wouldn't use any role on the mainline, except maybe "forward/backward" if
it was a route that only applies in one direction or as part of a
super-relation.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/36.14776/-95.97981&layers=C is a good
spot to see a few different possibilities.  This is where a local cycleway
(no number) crosses the proposed Oklahoma state bike route 66 and the
proposed US bike route 66.  I honestly don't think "link" is a commonly
used role at all.