[Tagging] nautical channels

osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au
Sun Jul 1 01:25:05 UTC 2018

I think it’s slightly different.

For canoe routes, there is generally no infrastructure along the route.

While navigable channels are marked with buoys, which makes them closer to a “highway” on land than a route. So I think it’s something that belongs in the waterway namespace.

If navigable channel is the correct nautical term, then the obvious would be waterway=navigable_channel

The real question becomes: tagging as a way in the middle of the channel? Tagging as an area (by mapping the buoys as seamarks, then connecting them to form an area)? Both? Either?