[Tagging] Golf wiki page

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 22:46:51 UTC 2018

On 17/07/18 08:36, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
> On 17 July 2018 at 06:31, Alan Grant <alangrant72 at gmail.com
> <mailto:alangrant72 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     But why do these discussions/controversies/ambiguities matter for
>     golf courses? Are we talking about how to tag areas of tree cover
>     that may exist between the fairways and greens?
>

> No, I mentioned it because the golf course in question is "built"
> entirely inside the boundaries of an area designated as "State
> Forest", which is intended for logging purposes, so it renders on OSM
> as a light green patch entirely covered by trees. Don't know what will
> happen if I then map tree rows, bunkers, water hazards & so on - guess
> we'll have a small patch of blue with trees in it as well?

I think the area cannot be used for logging. There is a saw mill in the
Tumut NSW Australia area (Batlow IIRC?) operated by the Forestry
Commission, designated as a state forest .. yet it is correctly tagged
as land use industrial in OSM. I would think the same applies to the
golf course - map what is there, not necessarily the official
designation ... it could be out of date, what ever the case what is on
the ground should override any other source of information.

>             On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 3:46 PM Mateusz Konieczny
>             <matkoniecz at tutanota.com <mailto:matkoniecz at tutanota.com>>
>             wrote:
>             > landuse=forest in OSM is for tree-covered area, not for
>             area used for logging-related purposes
>

> But doesn't the wiki say that landuse=forest is for managed forests,
> intended for logging purposes (or similar wording - can't open it ATM
> for some reason?), which this entire area is?

Apparently areas used for logging-related purposes are not to be mapped
in OSM .. there are no tags available for this land use.
We simply cannot map them.