[Tagging] landuse=basin

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Wed Jul 18 09:52:10 UTC 2018

On Wednesday 18 July 2018, Warin wrote:

> > That is not how the tag is used. water=reservoir is primarily used
> > for dammed rivers. landuse=basin is mostly used for water areas
> > created artificially where there was no pre-existing waterbody. If
> > in your area these are mostly temporarily water filled that is due
> > to climate and not a universal characteristic.
>
> A man made dam is artificial, creating an artificial water area where
> there was no large pre existing water body. Little difference.

I don't want to judge this, i am just describing the difference in use.
In humid climate many features tagged landuse=basin are permanently
water filled, some are drained in winter or for maintainance purposes.

Further complicating the whole thing is that due to the unclear
documentation including the reservoir_type=* tag water=reservoir is in
addition used widely for any kind of waterbodies containing dirty water
(tailings ponds, sewage treatment plants etc.) where there is obviously
no pre-existing waterbody.  So you have two fairly unrelated
applications of this.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/