[Tagging] landuse=basin

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 23:20:57 UTC 2018

On 18/07/18 18:02, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 July 2018, Warin wrote:
>> Hi, The presentOSM meaning of landuse=basin is "An area of land
>> artificially graded to hold water."
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dbasin This does not
>> distinguishit from water=reservoir OSM defined as
>> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:water%3Dreservoir> "A
>> reservoir or artificial lake used to store water."
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:water%3Dreservoir I think it
>> should have the word "temporarily" add to read
> That is not how the tag is used. water=reservoir is primarily used for
> dammed rivers. landuse=basin is mostly used for water areas created
> artificially where there was no pre-existing waterbody. If in your
> area these are mostly temporarily water filled that is due to climate
> and not a universal characteristic.

I think the distinction is that the basin is all formed by man, where as
the reservoir has a man made dam and the rest is natural.

So I have added to the wiki descriptions to add the 'usual' way these
things are formed/used. Present text and links below.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dbasin

An area of land artificially graded to hold water. Note that this
definition includes also structures typically without water. Usually
these features are made for man made water courses e.g. storm water,
water treatment.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dreservoir

Man made body of stored water. May be covered or uncovered. Usually
formed by a dam over a natural water course, water then backs up into a
natural valley or depression.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:water%3Dreservoir

A reservoiror an artificial lake is used to store water. Usually formed