[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Lounges

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 12:16:53 UTC 2018

On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 12:40 PM, Yves <yvecai at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't necessarily want to get rid of the word lounge, but an
> amenity=airport_lounge leaves very little doubt about what it is.

Actually, it does leave doubt.

Airport lounge as in waiting room?  A place with seats and (maybe) a coffee
machine but you don't have to
buy anything to sit there?

Or airport lounge as in a bar where you have to buy a drink to sit there?

Lounge, at least in my part of the world (the UK) doesn't mean what you
want it to mean.  Nor does "airport lounge."
Waiting room, however, is EXACTLY what you want to describe.  Hospitals and
doctors' surgeries have waiting rooms.
So do train stations and bus stations.

The second-worst thing about airport_lounge is that you'll then need
train_station_lounge, bus_station_lounge,
hospital_lounge, etc., when they could all be waiting_room because that is
what those things are called in British
English.  Tell somebody to sit in the hospital lounge and they'll wonder
what you mean; tell them to sit in the
waiting room and they'll know exactly what you mean.

Perhaps, in your language, lounge is the correct word,  In which case
translations for editor presets would
use "waiting room" in my language and "lounge" in yours.  The wiki would
use "waiting room" on the English page
and "lounge" for the same page in your language.  The underlying tag in the
database, however, would use
"waiting_room."

I am firmly, solidly and unswervingly opposed to "lounge" for this proposal.

--
Paul