[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Lounges

osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au
Sun Jun 10 12:53:41 UTC 2018

A “waiting room” is something very different from an airport lounge.

In the context of an airport, a waiting room (or rather, waiting area) is something like this:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8d/Kolkata_Airport_New_Terminal_gate_waiting_area.jpeg

They are part of the normal infrastructure of the airport, operated and maintained by the airport and accessible to everyone.

An airport lounge on the other hand is something like this:

https://www.gatwickairport.com/globalassets/passenger-facilities/no1-lounges-gatwick-south-terminal-6.jpg

It’s very common for them to be operated by a specific airline or by a company that specifically operates one or more airport lounges instead of the airport. Entrance is generally limited, by a fee at the entrance, holding the right type of ticket from the right airline, membership card, … it varies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airport_lounge

This is a very specific term for a very specific service.

I’m very sure that at any airport in the world, if you are speaking English, and ask for the way to the “lounge” after finishing your check-in, the staff will politely explain to you how to get the lounge for their airline, bit if you ask for the way to the “waiting room”, they’ll either send you off to your gate or look at you in incomprehension.