[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Telecom local netwoks

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 22:14:34 UTC 2018

On 11 June 2018 at 01:52, Fran├žois Lacombe <fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com>
wrote:

> A telephone exchange is a particular device inside a central office.
> We look forward to map places, not devices for now.
>
> People used to put man_made=telephone_exchange or man_made=MDF to tag a
> building/place while it's only particular devices inside.

Thanks for that, but I'm afraid that the continual OSM worldwide
translation problem is raising it's ugly head yet again.

In Australia at least, "telephone exchange" refers to the building itself,
which houses the Main Frame (where all the cables are terminated) & the
various types of switching equipment. In 20 years of working for our
Telecom, I never heard the phrase "Central Office" - the closest thing that
would refer to is an Admin Office of some sort.

Thanks

Graeme