[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Telecom local netwoks

François Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 22:42:07 UTC 2018

> Thanks for that, but I'm afraid that the continual OSM worldwide
> translation problem is raising it's ugly head yet again.
>
> In Australia at least, "telephone exchange" refers to the building itself,
> which houses the Main Frame (where all the cables are terminated) & the
> various types of switching equipment. In 20 years of working for our
> Telecom, I never heard the phrase "Central Office" - the closest thing that
> would refer to is an Admin Office of some sort.

I understand this well, and we have to choose a single value to do the job
worldwide.

As OSM main language is British English, I would use central office.
Furthermore, telephone exchange sounds to be focused on telephone service
(I know it's not actually true) while there are plenty of other services
like TV or broadband Internet and central office is suitable for all of
them.

Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_exchange) stands for "
Often, a *central office* is defined as a building used to house the inside
plant equipment of potentially several telephone exchanges, each serving a
certain geographical area "

In France, we also use to name our buildings as "Autocommuntateur" or
"Commutateur local" which translate perfectly to telephone exchange.
Nevertheless, "Autocommutateur" is a device in the building.

Finally we have to anticipate the day we'll map devices inside buildings
(not for now, but later)
How will we tag devices if the building itself already have took their
actual name?

All the best
François