[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Telecom local netwoks

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 23:07:47 UTC 2018

On 10/06/2018 23:42, François Lacombe wrote:

> <mailto:graemefitz1 at gmail.com>>:
>
>     Thanks for that, but I'm afraid that the continual OSM worldwide
>     translation problem is raising it's ugly head yet again.
>
>     In Australia at least, "telephone exchange" refers to the building
>     itself, which houses the Main Frame (where all the cables are
>     terminated) & the various types of switching equipment. In 20
>     years of working for our Telecom, I never heard the phrase
>     "Central Office" - the closest thing that would refer to is an
>     Admin Office of some sort.
>

> I understand this well, and we have to choose a single value to do the
> job worldwide.
>
> As OSM main language is British English, I would use central office.

Are you sure that's a British English term?  It's not one I've heard in
regular use* in 25 years of working on and off with telecoms companies
in the UK or a few other places around the world.  It may be that the
people that I was dealing with were dumbing things down for the
"programmer who doesn't understand all this complicated electronics
stuff", but I doubt it.

Best Regards,

Andy

* A quick scan through some old notes here (isn't text search
wonderful?) finds just 3 references to this sense of "Central Office",
including a paper from an American university from 1995, and a Gartner
report from 2002.