[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Telecom local netwoks

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 23:28:48 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 12:07 AM, Andy Townsend <ajt1047 at gmail.com> wrote:

Are you sure that's a British English term?  It's not one I've heard in
> regular use* in 25 years of working on and off with telecoms companies in
> the UK or a few other places around the world.  It may be that the people
> that I was dealing with were dumbing things down for the "programmer who
> doesn't understand all this complicated electronics stuff", but I doubt it.

That is pretty much my recollection of things, too (but my knowledge was
gained from the outside, mainly by
reading uk.telecom).

For confirmation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_exchange explains
that "central office" is a merkinism
introduced by Bell.  It also states that in the UK, the switchgear is a
telephone exchange and the building the switches
are housed in is called a telephone exchange (we Brits aren't very
inventive where terminology is concerned).

My vague recollection of uk.telecom is that the insiders' technical
terminology was slightly different, but I don't
recall how.  I do recall mutterings about "directors" but they were
obsoleted by all-figure dialling, but there was more
to it than that.

Suffice it to say that my small-ish town has a telephone exchange, not a
central office.  It is the termination point for
voice and digital (over copper or fibre), but will probably always be
called a telephone exchange.

It's worth noting that there are plans to remove the POTS side of things
and move everything to VoIP, at which
point the telephone exchange will be purely digital.

--
Paul