[Tagging] emergency=lifeguard

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 06:00:38 UTC 2018

On 17 June 2018 at 21:34, Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com> wrote:

> If the consensus is to change it to emergency=lifeguard + lifeguard=*,
> then I think this needs to be changed in:
>
> 1. The wiki
>

> I don't think it's far to the people who put the effort in to do a great
> job on the wiki documentation and those who've been mapping to that
> accepted tagging per the wiki, to change (4) without us first/while doing
> 1,2,3.

Thanks Andrew

Did some looking at the various lifeguard pages earlier, then had a play
with Overpass Turbo to have a look at what's what, & it looks as if quite a
few of the existing "lifeguard" entries may not be correct?

Is everyone in agreement that "lifeguard" should relate to somebody located
at a beach / lake / river / pool etc to watch over swimmers & provide
assistance as required?

Similarly, a marked lifeguard facility (base / tower / platform) should be
a permanent structure, or, in the case of a lifeguard=place, be located in
the same position all the time?

When I had a quick scan through various entries, I found a few
lifeguard=bases marked as being at both fire (well away from water) &
mountain-rescue stations; towers shown as actually being located in the
water!; others are on the beach, but nothing is visible in various
satellite images, while some show a shape in one image, but other's,
possibly during the northern winter, show an empty deserted beach.

Also found a few listings in Russia, that show lifeguard=place located
beside a highway in a building that's also marked Doctor, & with a helipad
out the back, once again, nowhere near water?

Maybe the wiki's need to be modified (consolidated?) to emphasize that
"lifeguard" refers to rescue of swimmers in the water?

Thanks

Graeme