[Tagging] drop covered=booth?

Bryan Housel bhousel at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 20:00:00 UTC 2018

from https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/5088 <https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/5088>

`covered`, traditionally:
Someone has asked me to add a `covered=booth` field to the telephone preset.
I’m pushing back on the request slightly because `covered=*` already has a mostly-understood meaning defined here https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:covered <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:covered>

Generally the tag `covered=*` (usually ‘yes’)  is used to indicate that a highway goes under a building part, so that linters and validation tools can not flag the crossing as an error..

`covered` for telephones?
The `amenity=telephone` page suggests using `covered=booth` for a phone in a booth.
It also suggests adding a `booth=*` tag (again usually ‘yes’, but may indicate what type of iconic UK phone booth).
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity=telephone <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity=telephone>

Proposal:
I’d like to drop `covered=booth` as a suggested tag, as it’s superfluous.  If the telephone feature has `booth=yes` or `booth=K6` you know it’s a booth.  Then we’re not repurposing the `covered=*` for a thing that it doesn’t normally do in other situations and isn’t documented on the main `covered` page.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Bryan