[Tagging] drop covered=booth?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 20:21:45 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 9:00 PM, Bryan Housel <bhousel at gmail.com> wrote:

> from https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/5088
>
> *Proposal:*
> I’d like to drop `covered=booth` as a suggested tag, as it’s superfluous.
> If the telephone feature has `booth=yes` or `booth=K6` you know it’s a
> booth.  Then we’re not repurposing the `covered=*` for a thing that it
> doesn’t normally do in other situations and isn’t documented on the main
> `covered` page.

The only possible problem with this is that many public phones in the US
have an acoustic hood which shields
the phone from rain and may provide a degree of rain protection to the
user.  In which case the acoustic hood
provides cover, just no as much as a booth.

Then again, I've never seen an outdoor public phone that isn't in a booth
also lack an acoustic hood.  So should
mappers and consumers assume a hood is present unless booth is specified?
Except I can conceive of a phone
in a building passage having neither a booth nor a hood (seems unlikely,
but possible).

Otherwise, I have no problems with the change.  By all means drop an
inappropriate, repurposed tag for something
better.  Once we're sure we're not going to hit further problems because we
didn't think of all use cases.

If we do go down this route, then I think an automated edit is justified
which drops covered=booth where booth=* is
specified and replaces covered=booth with booth=yes where booth isn't
specified.

--
Paul