[Tagging] emergency=lifeguard

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Mon Jun 18 22:34:26 UTC 2018

> On Jun 18, 2018, at 3:18 PM, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> No, this will have to be a manual check, but there's only ~900 worldwide so not impossible. Some should  be pretty straight forward - if a building beside the beach is marked as a base, then that's fine, but an apparently empty stretch of beach, or water!, being marked as a base or tower isn't. I guess  message to the original mapper, in a lot of case years ago, asking or confirmation that there's actually something there will be the best way to go?

Might want to check if there is some sort of tag indicating seasonal before removing from the map.

On the beach near me many of the lifeguard structures are built on what amounts to a sledge and are dragged to storage at the end of the summer season. In summer they are placed in the same locations each year, if nothing else so that the communications and power connections don’t need to be relaid. But even if they don’t need power and communications, the visitor use patterns remain fairly constant so the location of lifeguard stations/towers/structures remains fairly constant.

In any even, depending on the season the aerial imagery was taken you may see only an empty stretch of beach. Or you may see what looks like a small building from above.

Cheers!