[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - leisure=racetrack

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 19:15:01 UTC 2018

> The main reason because I excluded non-motorised sports is because many of
> them seem to have an already established way of mapping.
> All this pages mention sports_centre and stadium as physical tag
> combination for related facilities:
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Asport%3Ddog_racing
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Asport%3Dhorse_racing
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:sport%3Dequestrian
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Asport%3Dbobsleigh
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Asport%3Dcycling
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Asport%3Dbmx

these are all sports "properties" that need to be combined with a tag
describing the physical object, if we introduce a specific leisure value
for racing facilities, it could make sense to include other racing as well
(velodromes, ...).

I also believe there is some potential for confusion between racetrack
(intended for facility) and raceway (intended for the actual
track/"highway")). What about leisure=racing_facility ? Makes it clearer
(could also be useful for indoor? Is there something for indoor cart
racing?).
If you really want to restrict the use of the tag for motor racing places,
I suggest you add the term "motor" in the tag (e.g.
leisure=motor_racing_facility).

Cheers,
Martin