[Tagging] brand=* necessary?

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Thu May 10 10:29:10 UTC 2018

On 2018-05-10 12:01, Christoph Hormann wrote:

> I should probably add that what can be considered the name of a feature
> is ultimately the decision of the local community.

...as long as there are global ground rules. The autonomy of local
communities, just like democracy, cannot be unbounded. OSM is a global
resource. What's a local community, anyway? We don't want people in one
city doing things differently from another city 10km away in the same
country, do we?

A "name" is what something is "called" by "others." Which "others" are
considered, is the real debate here. Is it the council? Is it the
residents within 100m? Is it a tourist who doesn't speak the local
language? Who gets priority? This is something that cartographers (AKA
humans determining the rendering) must decide, depending on who the map
is for.

--Colin