[Tagging] access=disabled

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu May 10 23:48:08 UTC 2018

> <mailto:61sundowner at gmail.com>>:
>
>     On 10/05/18 23:57, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>>
>>     I think capacity tagging would be better (if referring to who can
>>     park there), or is really the access restricted?
>     Legally the spaces I am tagging are only meant for disabled parking.
>

> i.e. it is forbidden to cross the parking by foot if you are not disabled?
and if an area is tagged amenity=parking, access=customers ... same
problem.

>> there are some of these
>> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/access%3Adisabled
>> <https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/access%3Adisabled>
>> but the mostly used value is “no”, probably this is an inconsistency
>> (not about legal access but about accessibility)
>>
> The no value is some 500, combine values yes and designated and you
> get ~800.
>

> according to the wiki, agricultural, forestry, customers etc. are
> _values_ for access tags:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access#Access_tag_values
> (agricultural is also a vehicle class though).

And some are using disabled as a value too... which was my suggestion ..
see the subject of the thread.
Too me this is a logical extension of the present system of use ..

> "disabled" are a class of users (see "by use"):
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access#Access_tag_values
>
> Their documented tag is "disabled=*"
> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/disabled

This is 'documented"? Ha. Look at the page for the 'documentation'. I
have no idea what it is at all....
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key%3Adisabled

One line saying

"disabled=* is used e.g. if there are exceptions for parking rules. "

Really ? What does that mean ??? just going on this 'documentation' I
could not use it .. in any place.

So far the only 'suggestions' I have that work for me are ;

use of access=disabled .. some 400 uses
capacity ... needs two entries to specify it and you need to know the
numbers otherwise it could indicated spaces for others which is not the
case. Only works for things that have a capacity?

I note the use of access=emergency .. some 2,500 uses ... no
documentation. I have used this on a parking area.
And I note this is documentation as a 'by use' ... thing too .. very
inconsistent with other values...
Why the difference between these things .. they all look like they
should be in the same kind of system - either they should all be values
or not values?

I'll need to think on it some more. :) Not fixed on anything for the
moment. But I'd like it to be easy.