[Tagging] roundtrip

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sat May 26 15:03:14 UTC 2018

On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 2:58 PM, Peter Elderson <pelderson at gmail.com> wrote:

> If I understand you correctly, in British English round trip is not about
> the route at all, it is about the journey, the service and practical
> arrangements. While American English adds the actual route and the priceing.

Something like that.  The actual route taken on a round trip is an
important factor in describing it, and of interest
to a person on the trip, but doesn't determine whether it is or isn't
considered a round trip.

> To me, this means that the roundtrip key (if at all useful) is not
> applicable to other routes than PT and tourism vehicle routes and services.
> And that it does not mean anything when applied to waymarked hiking,
> bikeing etc routes.

That seems to be the case.  Others might have differing opinions, but I
don't see it as applicable to hiking/biking.  Oh,
it is applicable to tourist boats, which mostly operate round trips.  It's
rare for them to set down or pick up at sea. :)  The
tourist boat operating in my point has two pick-up points (three in summer)
on a circular route, where the pick-up points
are on a very short segment of the route.  I'd call it a round trip rather
than a circular, even though it has elements of
both.

> Those routes need to know if the waymarking is oneway and if it's a
> circular route, meaning when you keep going you will end up where (or near
> to) you began, no matter where on the route you started.

That seems right to me.  Again, with a non-circular route you can (possibly
requiring a change of vehicles at
one point) get back to where you started.  The best distinction I can come
up with is that circular routes enclose
an area and non-circular routes do not.  And that distinction often has
exceptions because of one-way systems.
Some of those are going to be hard to decide.  It depends what proportion
of the route is along the same ways in
opposite directions and what proportion uses different ways (a significant
distance apart) for the two directions.
A good rule of thumb is if the bus company says the route is a circular
then it is, otherwise use your judgement. :)

As always, there will be grey areas and exceptions, but that seems to cover
most cases.

--
Paul