[Tagging] roundtrip

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Sat May 26 16:16:09 UTC 2018

I do a lot of one-day walking trips with groups... they actually fit quite
nicely with your descriptions. The route usually ends where it starts. You
have a fixed order of POI's, one or more planned stops at fixed locations,
and they (the others or the group leader) get upset when someone is not
ready when the groups is supposed to go on or return.  The route maybe
linear or circular, often a combination: start linear, then a tour, then
return the same way you came.

None of this is absolutely fixed, but that's the same with your
description, it contains a lot of "may"s

If someone decides to do the same touring car route in her own car,
wouldn't  you still call it a round trip?

> On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 3:53 PM, Peter Elderson <pelderson at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Still thinking...
>> If in British English round trip just means you start at A, go to B, do
>> all kinds of things in between or not, then later return at A, no matter if
>> it's via the same route or a different route, as long as it's in one go:
>> then a waymarked "circular" foot or bicycle route actually fits the
>> definition.
>>

> Not really.  On a circular A->B->C->D->E->F->A->B->C... I can get on at
> any point and go to any other.  Ticketing
> restrictions may mean I cannot go around past the same point twice.
> Ticketing restrictions may mean if there's
> a reverse of the route then I can't go A->B->C->D->E->F but must take the
> reverse route F->A.
>
> On sight-seeing tours which are round trips, it may not be permissible to
> get on or off at any point other than A,
> in fact the bus may not even stop at any POI. On more general tourist
> round trips, it may be possible to get off some
> POIs but you must return (otherwise they hang around thinking you've
> gotten lost) and it may not be permissible to
> board at any point other than A.  The round trip may be linear rather than
> circular (they usually are circular so that
> you get to see more POIs, but in the case of an "excursion" the intent is
> to get from A to B, spend time at B, then
> return.  Different from an ordinary route because they get upset if you
> don't return to the bus at the allotted time
>
> --
> Paul

Vr gr Peter Elderson