[Tagging] roundtrip

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Sat May 26 17:40:01 UTC 2018

Well, for PT I have no opinion whether tagging roundtrip is applicable. But
how would you tag the London hop-on tours... Again, no opinion.

For hiking & cycling it is important for data users to know if you return
at the start when you just follow the waymarks. It's a major
selection/ordering attribute for providers of waymarked walking routes.
Location, distance, ends where it started (i.e. where your car is...),
surface.
Most users have a leaflet with a touristic impression of a map and the
route, and location of parking lot and snackb^H^H^H^H^H^Hrestaurant. Often,
you are not allowed to stray from the route. Start at the entrance, follow
the Red Hobbit, tell us that it was heaven on earth. Thanks for visiting
Nature Park "De Hoge Veluwe".  The white zone is for loading and unloading
only... sorry. Frank Zappa kicked in.

> On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 5:16 PM, Peter Elderson <pelderson at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I do a lot of one-day walking trips with groups... they actually fit
>> quite nicely with your descriptions. The route usually ends where it
>> starts. You have a fixed order of POI's, one or more planned stops at fixed
>> locations, and they (the others or the group leader) get upset when someone
>> is not ready when the groups is supposed to go on or return.  The route
>> maybe linear or circular, often a combination: start linear, then a tour,
>> then return the same way you came.
>>
>> None of this is absolutely fixed, but that's the same with your
>> description, it contains a lot of "may"s
>>

> It does indeed sound like a round trip by my definitions.  It is not
> intended that people drop out of the walk at
> random locations or that they choose to stop at an arbitrary point and not
> return to the origin.
>

>> If someone decides to do the same touring car route in her own car,
>> wouldn't  you still call it a round trip?
>>

> In intent, yes.  Of course, with your own car you can always change your
> mind anywhere along the route
> and go home, or go somewhere else.
>
> I would expect that even on a round-trip with no stops, such as a scenic
> tour bus, if somebody caused
> enough trouble they might be ejected.  Or, by pre-arrangement somebody
> might be permitted to get off
> at a place it normally stops.
>
> Whether or not any of these things are important to map is another
> matter.  But it's better if our
> terminology matches British English expectations at minimum (the more
> language expectations
> it matches the better) because people don't always look at the wiki to
> check if they're using a tag
> correctly.  The closer a tag matches normal usage the less likely it will
> be used incorrectly.
>
> So once we're agreed what these things mean we can decide if they're worth
> mapping. :)
>
> --
> Paul

Vr gr Peter Elderson