[Tagging] roundtrip

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Mon May 28 08:24:36 UTC 2018

I think for waymarked circular trails the UK English meaning is not too far
off. The waymarks and often available map/leaflet/booklet/description do
indeed bring you back to the starting point. (Remember the walking_bus
discussion?)

Having said that, I think circular_route is more to-the-point, it targets
the route itself instead of the service. I have asked the Dutch community
for input on retagging roundtrip=yes (for foot/hiking/cycling routes) to
circular_route=yes, and using closed_loop=yes for the purpose of validation.

> I only saw the discussion in this thread, came to the conclusion I (and
> probably many other Dutch and German speakers) had interpreted the meaning
> completely wrong.
>
> The tag is indeed meaningless, as it stands. Especially for public
> transport, where it really doesn't matter. We're describing itineraries.
> For hiking/cycling it's a misnomer. So it would be good to phase it out.
>
> What I'm trying to accomplish, while we're doing that is to not only
> replace it with circular_route, to indicate intent, but to also add a tag
> that validators can use to perform validation.
>
> Jo

>> Have you seen the discussion on the roundtrip tag [1]?
>> It looks as if there are two different roundtrip concepts in use:
>> For hiking or cycling routes it means that the route you follow brings
>> you back to the starting point with the outwards route and the return route
>> (mostly) different.
>> in a traffic service round trip is often used to indicate a service
>> "there and back"
>> "roundtrip=yes|no" is an unfortunate choice of key as it has wo meanings,
>> mainly ccording to which side of the Atlantic Ocean you are. but its in use
>> about 25k times.
>> It might have been better to have something like "loop=yes|no" for hiking
>> and cycling routes.
>> For bus|underground|tram lines it might have been better to use something
>> like "geometry=linear|circular|..." for transportation routes.
>>
>> [1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Key:roundtrip
>>
>> On 28 May 2018 at 08:52, Jo <winfixit at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> From what I gathered during this discussion, roundtrip is mostly
>>> understood and used wrongly by mappers.
>>>
>>> It's also not something about the route, but rather about a passenger
>>> who buys a ticket to come back the same way the same day/weekend and paying
>>> the return fare on the same ticket (aller/retour - heen- en terug).
>>>
>>> So I went and downloaded all objects tagged with roundtrip. The one I
>>> changed needed major clean up in its members anyway.
>>>
>>> So how do we get from a meaningless tag (roundtrip) to something that
>>> actually has meaning for itineraries?
>>>
>>> I think that on the one hand we need a tag to describe what the user can
>>> expect (get back to approximate initial position) and on the other hand it
>>> would be nice (for validation purposes) to know if the ways in the relation
>>> are supposed to form a closed loop.
>>>
>>> hence:
>>> circular_route=yes
>>> closed_loop=no