[Tagging] Water collection points (in french "Borne de puisage")

Moritz osm at moritzmueller.ee
Thu Nov 1 14:24:54 UTC 2018

Hi Vincent,

> Please, what do you thing as a good way to tag it :
>
> - emergency=fire_hydrant and usage=*
> - amenity=hydrant and hydrant:type=*
> - amenity=water_point

I would not go for anything like emergency=fire_hydrant or
amenity=hydrant.
This would make people confuse these bornes with real fire hydrants
sooner or later.

As fire departments already use emergency=fire_hydrant it's to risky.

Also the wiki clearly states[0]:

> A fire hydrant in OSM is defined as a device to take water for
> firefightening purposes
> and it can be pressurized or not.

I would use

man_made=standpipe
colour=green
water_source=main

The wikipedia[1] indicates that standpipe is the proper term for this
thing.
According to taginfo[2] it is already in use (434x).

Moritz

[0]: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:emergency%3Dfire_hydrant
[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standpipe_(street)
[2]: https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/man_made=standpipe#overview